Hemel Hempstead (HP2) and Rickmansworth (WD3) from April 2022
£ competitive + benefits
18th March 2022
About the role
Freespace is a rapidly growing, Global technology company. Our goal is to help our clients to create the most efficient, effective, and engaging working environments. Using patented sensor technology, data analytics and innovative displays, we help our clients to get the best out of their workspace while enabling them to fully understand the utilization of their office buildings.
The Materials Controller will be a part of the Freespace Production & Logistics team. The purpose of the role will be involved with helping to set the Production Plan, executing required purchasing decisions, maintenance of Inventory and Control in support of UK Factory Operations and manage Freespace subcontractors.
On a day-to-day basis, you will
- Utilize the company’s materials requirement planning (MRP) system to provide a realistic (SMART) Production Plan with clear identification of materials requirements to meet actual orders and forecast build in accordance with mid-term plans (0-6 months).
- Execute the purchasing activities to supply parts at planned times taking into account estimated order quantities (EOQ) and lead times (LT) for all commodities whilst optimizing cost.
- Define, monitor and control manufacturing activities at electronic subcontractors to meet production orders and target stock levels.
- Release internal works orders for kitting of parts, production of tested assemblies and firmware configuration to meet customer commitments on a daily basis.
- Set safety stock levels, apply first in, first out (FIFO) practices, ensure transactions maintain accurate inventory balances and carry out periodic stock counts as required.
- Provide weekly KPI sheet for operations.
- Maintain allocated elements of the safety, quality, delivery and costs (SQDC) weekly improvement tasks.
- Support the production team to ensure a smooth product flow to fulfil customer orders.
- Support the Production Manager to maintain a realistic “Sales and Operations plan” to meet the business needs of Freespace, identifying capacity challenges and product availability challenges and proposed corrective actions
- Any other tasks and improvement projects as allocated by the Production Manager.
Skills and experience
- At least 2 years’ experience in production / stores / stock control / logistics functions in a similar electronics / instrumentation environment.
- Solid experience in use of MRP production control systems (planning principles, works orders, bill of materials, kitting, batches, buying reports, shortage reports, booking of completed tasks, backflushing of consumed parts, process routings, SKUs, stock control mechanisms etc.).
- Experience in the procurement of electronics components.
- Good understanding of the use of KPIs and the tools of continuous improvement.
- Fast learner, comfortable with basic math, clear user of language (spoken and written), financially literate, willing to acquire additional qualifications if needed by the business.
- An interest in “technology and products”, preferably supported by Technician level qualifications.
- Strong IT skills, including Excel. Able to learn and pick up new systems quickly and train others in their use.
- A good standard of education, which would ideally include a technical subject (degree would be an advantage).
Behaviors and mindset
- Extremely customer focused; willing to go the extra mile to ensure a high level of service to the customer
- Able to think and act commercially.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Able to communicate clearly with a range of stakeholder verbally and written.
- A positive, ‘can do’ attitude. Able to be flexible and agile when needed to support the business demands.
- Is proactive about their own development; curious and interested and willing to learn about new product and services as Freespace grows is product base.
- A strong interest in technology, particularly electrical elements.
- The ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Being able to learn from mistakes and not making the same mistakes twice.
- A strong commitment to quality; motivated to consistently do a high-quality job to the best of their ability.
- Good team worker; steps up to help the team succeed when needed.
Freespace is growing Globally and investing in new technologies and innovative ideas to support our customers in the marketplace. This is a fantastic opportunity for a talented professional who is experienced and interested in technology to join an agile company that promotes further development in your career as well as the ability to learn multiple disciplines.
Some of our universal benefits
Depending on position and individual contribution